Top International Holiday Destinations
Looking for more destination options for holiday packages ? See top international destinations from India, visit page to explore holiday packages, read detailed itineraries, send enquiry, book hotels, explore and book sightseeing tour and activities online.
Kitulgala - Holiday Tour Packages
Kitulgala is a small town that is located in the western part of Sri Lanka, specifically lying in the wet zone rain forest that experiences two monsoons every year. Regarded as one of the wettest places in the island country, it also comes alive in the first quarter of the year, especially in the driest month of February. It was here where the award-winning filmed “The Bridge on the River Kwai” was taken, although nothing remains now except for the bridge’s concrete foundations. Considering what the town can offer to tourists, it is definitely a great destination during your next Sri Lanka vacation.
Top places to visit in Kitulgala
You can reach Kitulgala through an excursion from Colombo at a weekend to enjoy its beautiful scenery, enjoy water activities and try its excellent local cuisine at the local restaurants. If you want to get wet, go for a swim and play with the waters, then you should head to the Kelani River. You can cross its deep channel on a dugout canoe or just cross its shallows by walking. You can also go to its bird sanctuary, where you can see the most recently discovered Serendib scops owl, of which calls could be heard from forests. Another great area to visit is the hills above the rubber plantations, where you will have the chance to see the crested treeswift, mountain hawk eagle and the Layard’s parakeet.
Top things to do in Kitulgala
You will not get a feel of what this town is all about if you miss the following activities:
- White-Water Rafting - You can experience this activity on the Kelaniya Ganga, which runs through the town and offers the best white-water rafting in the country. The river has seven class 2-3 rapids, which are good for beginners, and class 4-5 rapids, which are for experienced rafters.
- Jungle Trekking - The sheer hills that surround the town are covered in dense forests that make for some decent day-long jungle hikes. You can arrange with a tour guide for the most suitable route for you.
- Bird-Watching - The town is popular for this activity, where 23 of the country’s 27 endemic bird species are found.
Top attractions and landmarks in Kitulgala
Make sure you do not miss these attractions on your holiday in Sri Lanka and in this beautiful town:
- Kelani Valley Forest Reserve - The nature trail in this area offers great bird-watching opportunities, especially in the lowlands which are the best places to see endemic species.
- Beli Lena Cave - This cave is located on a steep path on a hillside, 2,000 feet above sea level, offering a breathtaking view of the rubber plantations that are close to Kitulgala. It is said to be once the home of the pre-historic Balangoda Man.
- Handun Ella Waterfalls - These falls are about a hundred feet tall, flowing to the Kaleni River. It is located at the Inoya Estate in Kitulgala.
Kitulgala holiday packages
If you want to make the most of your trip to Kitulgala, book your Sri Lanka holiday packages with us here at La Vacanza Travel. Have a safe trip and enjoy!
Book Top Sightseeing Tours and Activities Online
View All Sighseeing Tours
Spend seven nights in Sri Lanka experiencing its beautiful cities, historical and wildlife attractio...
Camping in Yala National Park is one of the best ways to experience the diverse array of wildlife. T...
Explore some popular and exotic cities on this 4-night tour in Sri Lanka with your own private drive...
This itinerary is perfect for first-time visitors to Sri Lanka. We pick you up at Bandaranaike Inter...
Discover the classic attractions of Sri Lanka on a 10-day adventure that covers all six UNESCO World...
Sigiriya and Dambulla have been nominated as UNESCO World Heritage and once Sigiriya was nominated a...
This tour covers some very important attractions in Kandy city. The city lies in the midst of hills ...
This tour will give you a memorable experience with different sightseeing activities in the cultural...
Spend 15-hours on this private day trip exploring Sigiriya Rock Fortress and Sigiriya Museum with yo...
Explore the classic attractions of Sri Lanka on an 8-day tour that covers all six UNESCO World Herit...