When people think about taking a vacation to Greece, the first things that pop in their minds are popular destinations like Santorini, Corfu, and Mykonos. There's definitely nothing wrong with heading off to these popular islands but, if you're planning to travel to Greece, make it a point to spend a few days in Athens. Aside from being the capital and the largest city in the country, Athens has many wonderful things to offer to visitors and can help you gain a deeper understanding of Greece's rich history and culture.
Places to visit in Athens
Athens has a wide range of attractions for you to choose from, so browse around to find those that match your interests. If you're a big fan of performance arts, for instance, you'll want to visit some of the 148 theatrical stages in the city and perhaps even watch a play in one of them. If you love sports, check out the city's sports venues, like the Olympic Indoor Hall (where the 2007 Euroleague finals were held) and the Athens Olympic Stadium (where the 2004 Summer Olympic Games were held).
During your vacation in Athens, make sure to explore its numerous museums, such as the Benaki Museum, the National Archaeological Museum, and the Museum of Cycladic Art. Of course, don't forget to drop by the alfresco restaurants and inviting cafes within the city and delight your taste buds with delicious food and drinks.
Things to do in Athens
With the numerous activities available in Athens, you only have to choose those that suit your taste and travel plans and will help you have fun. Here are some of the things to do in Greece's capital:
- Explore the “historic triangle” and walk through the ancient neighborhoods of Plaka, Anafiotika, and Ancient Agora to get a glimpse into Athens's past.
- Embark on a food trip and taste every delicious morsel that Athens has to offer. Check out the city's numerous cafes (where you can enjoy delicious coffee while people-watching), eat dinner at a rooftop restaurant, and stroll through open-air markets that sell a wide range of produce.
- Go shopping in the city's many markets and arcades. The Monastiraki Flea Market, for instance, is a great place to find antiques, jewelry, and other items while enjoying a bright and festive atmosphere.
Top attractions in Athens
- Acropolis - Your vacation in Athens won't be complete without taking a tour around Acropolis, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Here, you'll find the Parthenon (which has become synonymous with Athens and even Greece itself) as well as numerous temples and shrines. You'll also get to visit the Acropolis Museum, which contains thousands of priceless artifacts that were obtained from the Acropolis monuments.
- Syntagma Square - Located in front of the Hellenic Parliament, this is considered to be Athens's main square and the hub of the historic triangle. Here, you can wait for and observe the changing of the guards of the Parliament while feeding pigeons and watching other people.
- Byzantine and Christian Museum - This is considered to be one of the most important Byzantine Art museums and contains rare fabrics, pictures, pottery, and other artifacts from the 3rd century AD to the 15th century. There are over 25,000 exhibits, so set aside enough time to browse through them.
Athens sightseeing tours and activities
Athens is a great place to spend your vacation, so book your Athens Sightseeing Tours and Activities now and start planning your trip!