Austria is a country that is rich with history, tradition, beautiful places and activities that are unique to the area. Like its neighbor, Switzerland, it is also a winter sports capital in Europe. However, it is just as popular for summer holidaymakers who want to explore historic sites or hike through the magnificent scenery of the Alps.
Sightseeing destinations in Austria
As one of the most popular destinations in Europe, Austria attracts tourists all year round into its lively and colorful cities bustling and spectacular mountain regions. You will have a lot of sightseeing opportunities in this Alpine republic, considering the scenic beauty of its provinces and the tourist spots in its splendid cities, such as the historic capital Vienna and Salzburg, the beautiful birthplace of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
As it is predominantly a nation of upland areas and high mountains, with the Eastern Alps occupying a good 60% of its territory, the country will surely offer you some breathtaking and refreshing experiences. The River Danube, which flows through the northern region, also adds to its attractions as a popular destination.
Top tour activities in Austria
Here are some of the best things to do on your trip to this beautiful country:
- Visiting Its Famous Cultural, Historical and Natural Attractions - The country is home to a plethora of attractions, from the medieval Burg Hochosterwitz castle to the largest system of ice caves in the world, the Eisriesenwelt (The World of the Ice Giants). Make sure you visit them for a more worthwhile experience.
- Skiing - During the ski season, the mountains in the immediate vicinity of the very picturesque Kitzbüheler Horn bustle with skiers from all over the world. You can reach the place by cableways, but you also have the option to climb it from the village of Kitzbühel.
- Parasailing and Paragliding - Flying will be as simple as it can be with these activities. You will be attended by charming and skilled crew, who can offer you pre-flight instructions and deliver pictures of your flight afterwards.
Top tour attractions in Austria
There are many attractions in the country, and these are just some the highlights of these great places.
- Schonbrunn Palace - This major tourist attraction in Vienna is comparable in grandeur to Versailles. It was built at the request of Emperor Leopold I and was turned into an imperial summer palace by Maria Theresa. Its park offers a lot of attractions, including the Privy Garden, the Tiergarten Schönbrunn (the oldest zoo in the world), a marble summerhouse, and a maze and labyrinth.
- Hohensalzburg Castle - This is one of Europe’s largest and most well-preserved medieval castles. It is strategically located at the top of the Festungsberg Mountain, towering over the city of Salzburg and breathing life into its magnificent skyline. It is also where the “Salzburg Bull”, an organ with more than 200 pipes, is found.
- Vienna State Opera - This opera house is a stunning work of architecture at the heart of Austria’s capital. It is regarded as the most celebrated opera house of all time, with an orchestra that is recognized all over the world.
Austria sightseeing tours and activities
As a guide to building a complete trip itinerary, check out all Austria sightseeing tours and activities offered here at La Vacanza Travel.