The hub of the Midwest, Chicago, Illinois is the third-largest city in the US that is well known for jazz, blues, house music, comedy, dining, shopping, architecture and fine cultural attractions. It boasts of a picturesque skyline that calls across the waters of Lake Michigan and shows an impressive sight that reveals world-class museums, huge parks and miles of sandy beaches.
Sightseeing destinations in Chicago
The most visited part of the city is its large central area that covers neighborhoods, including the Downtown, Streeterville, River North, Old Town, Central Station, the Gold Coast, Printer's Row, the South Loop and Greek Town. Collectively, these areas contain many attractions, skyscrapers and highly ranked institutions. There are also many places of interest that you can find in its other districts—the North Side, South Side and the West Side. The neighborhoods here are strongly identified with their sense of culture and being homely.
Top tour activities in Chicago
Here are things to do during your trip to Chicago:
- Enjoy its beaches - With its five Great Lakes forming one of the largest masses of freshwater on the planet, you should enjoy Chicago’s beaches, especially Lake Michigan. You can swim there and enjoy the surroundings, with nearly the entire waterfront and its parkland open to the public.
- Visit its parks - As mentioned above, the city’s beaches have waterfront parks, which are a hub for organized and impromptu volleyball, soccer, tennis, basketball and other activities, especially during the summer months. You can also find fantastic parks inland.
- Go for a food trip - Chicago is one of the great restaurant towns in the US, which means that it is a terrific place to find a specific kind of cuisine. The Devon Ave Indian corridor, Greektown, Chatham and Chinatown are just some of the great places where you find satisfy your food cravings.
Top tour attractions in Chicago
To get the most out of your Chicago trip, make sure you include the following attractions in your itinerary:
- Art Institute of Chicago - This is a world-class museum that contains hundreds of thousands of artworks, including pieces dating back thousands of years such as paintings, prints, photographs, sculptures, textiles, decorative arts and architectural drawings. It is known for its collection of Impressionist and post-Impressionist paintings, including “A Sunday Afternoon on La Grand Jatte,” by Georges Seurat, “Acrobats at the Circque Fernando” by Renoir and numerous paintings by Claude Monet.
- Millennium Park - Located in downtown Chicago, this park features the Jay Pritzker Pavilion, the Crown Fountain, the Cloud Gate sculpture and the Lurie Garden.
- Michigan Avenue and the Magnificent Mile - Michigan Avenue is regarded as one of the most attractive boulevards in the US, and here you will find the famous Magnificent Mile that covers numerous boutiques, galleries and luxury shops. Other attractions include the Wrigley Building, the John Hancock Center and the Tribune Tower.
Chicago sightseeing tours and activities
There are plenty more to see in this beautiful city, and to make sure you have the perfect itinerary for your trip here, check out all Chicago sightseeing tours and activities here at La Vacanza Travel.