Las Vegas is the largest city in Nevada that lies in the desert and is surrounded by barren hills. The place is famous for the Strip, which is lined with huge resort hotels with sparkling lights and fountains, as well as recreated glamorous sites from other world cities. Offering a fun and exciting retreat from the desert landscape, this city is a great sunny destination to pick for a vacation any time of the year, with its cooler winter also offering pleasant sightseeing opportunities.
Sightseeing destinations in Las Vegas
Most of the action in Las Vegas is centered around an area of the South Las Vegas Boulevard, known as the Strip, so it is best to stay close to this region. This is also where most of the biggest themed resort hotels are located. Just beyond the city limits, you will find spectacular scenery of a desert, mountains, gorges and red rocks. If you want to get out of the city and explore its outskirts, then a packaged tour is definitely the best option to have.
Top tour activities in Las Vegas
Here are just some of the things to do to make the most of your trip to this city:
- Live the Fremont Street Experience - In the old downtown of Las Vegas is a pedestrian-only area with all kinds of unique sites, known as the Fremont Street. Here, you will find a four-block section that is covered over with a canopy of LED lights that illuminate the sky in a ray of different colors while you walk below. This is known as the Fremont Street Experience, where a fantastic music and visual show takes place overhead each night.
- Take a helicopter ride - For a great aerial view of the city and the Grand Canyon, you should take a helicopter ride that is offered by a number of companies. This is a good way to see not only the city, but also its surrounding landscape, especially when you are limited with time on your trip.
- Take a gondola ride - A Venetian gondola ride is a fun way to see the Venetian Hotel complex. During the ride, you will be taken by a personable gondolier through the shopping arcade that is situated inside the building.
Top tour attractions in Las Vegas
An endless number of interesting places abound the city, but the following attractions should be topping your list.
- The Strip - This is a 2.5-mile-long central section of the Las Vegas Boulevard, running through the city from southwest to northeast. It is lined with huge entertainment palaces and is particularly impressive at night, when the city is lighted up by an endless succession of glittering signs.
- Mandalay Bay Resort and the Shark Reef Aquarium - At the southwest end of the Strip is Mandalay Bay Resort, which highlights the Shark Reef Aquarium—a massive tank that is holding a wide variety of sharks, rays, fish, marine invertebrates and even reptiles. The Shark Tunnel is the most impressive feature in this attraction.
- Las Vegas Natural History Museum - This is a good place to visit if you want to take a break from the glitz and rush of the city. The museum depicts the natural history of our planet, with a focus on Nevada.
Las Vegas sightseeing tours and activities
To get a complete feel of what the city is all about, check out all Las Vegas sightseeing tours and activities here at La Vacanza Travel when planning your itinerary.