Situated at the tip of Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne is the capital of the south-eastern state of Victoria and the second-largest city in Australia. It is also the country’s cultural capital, where you can find Victorian-era architecture, museums, theaters, extensive shopping centers, large parks and gardens. Considering what the city can offer to travelers, you will have all the reasons to make it your next choice of destination.
Sightseeing destinations in Melbourne
With the vast amount of wealth that was generated from the nearby goldfields operated in the past, majestic buildings were built throughout Melbourne, with many of them still standing today. You will have a lot of sightseeing opportunities here, considering that the city is well-known for having more examples of Victorian architecture than other cities in the country. This vibrant, elegant and multicultural place is popularly regarded as a city for all seasons, where you can wander from its grand tree-lined streets and hidden laneways to the panoramic parklands and city gardens that surround the Central Business District (CBD).
Top tour activities in Melbourne
There is a lot of things to do on your trip to Melbourne, and here are just some of them:
- Delve into the city’s early urban history - To truly get a feel of what Melbourne is all about, you can ditch the CBD and explore some of its urban history in the increasingly developing neighborhoods of the inner-northern region of the city.
- Pay your respects at the Shrine of Remembrance - This statuesque shrine, situated off St. Kilda Rd, was built in 1934 as a dedication to the individuals who lost their lives in World War I. Here, you will find historical exhibitions that depict the sacrifices they made and the site of some of the most important military and remembrance ceremonies in the city, such as ANZAC Day.
- Enjoy the beach at the St. Kilda foreshore - If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, you can head down to the breezy St. Kilda beach to witness a relaxing kind of buzz. Here, you can take in the views along the sea-front promenade, gawp at the gutsy windsurfers catching some waves and watch some fishermen. You can also come here to do some window shopping.
Top tour attractions in Melbourne
There are attractions that you should not miss to include in your itinerary, such as:
- Federation Square - This place was opened in 2002 to commemorate the centennial of the federation, and since then, it became an integral part of the Melbourne, where tourists come to do some sightseeing.
- Royal Botanic Gardens - This is located in the heart of green parkland that extends south of the Yarra River. Established in 1846, these gardens are rated as one of the finest of their kind on the planet.
- Melbourne Museum and Royal Exhibition Building - Just a short ride from the CBD, you will arrive at this modern purpose-built museum that houses various collections that show society and cultures. It highlights the Aboriginal Centre, Bunjilaka and the Blue Box among others.
Melbourne sightseeing tours and activities
There are definitely a lot to see in this marvelous city, and to make the most out of them, check out all Melbourne sightseeing tours and activities here at La Vacanza Travel.