A young city that was founded in 1896, Miami has taken full advantage of its prominent location to become one of the foremost cities in the US. Its rapid growth in 110 years earned it the nickname “The Magic City”, with a tropical weather all year round that ensures a steady stream of tourists, especially during winter. It has some of the most popular beaches in the country and a vibrant Latin American community.
Sightseeing destinations in Miami
Lying on the southeastern side of the Florida Peninsula and separated from the Atlantic by Miami Beach and Biscayne Bay, Miami enjoys a pleasant climate and many great places that offer wonderful sightseeing opportunities, especially for those from the northern regions of the country. You can go to the beaches of Greater Miami or the Miami Beach for its interesting Art Deco architecture. Outside the city, you can also find the nearby Everglades National Park, which is known for its unique wildlife and ecosystem.
Top tour activities in Miami
As many Miamians know, there is a lot of things to do in this beautiful city, apart from lounging on the sand. In between doing some water activities, you can also have these essential experiences:
- Hanging Out in South Beach - There is a reason why South Beach is always flocked by tourists. It is truly a great place to hang out, with young, swimsuit-clad people lounging by the poolside, rollerbladers gliding down Ocean Drive and models sauntering along the golden sands. You can also get a dose of culture at the World Erotic Art Museum before enjoying a great meal at one of the best dining establishments here.
- Joining in the Festivities - From the traditional to the tacky, there are numerous festivals celebrated in Miami. One is the Carnaval Miami, which lasts 10 days of culinary competitions, galas, beauty pageants and an upscale Latin jazz festival, with the grand finale being Little Havana’s 23-block street party, called Calle Ocho. Another event to look out for is the electronic music festival. Known as Ultra.
- Seeing Amazing Street Art - Decaying urban structures and warehouses were converted to become canvases for street artists in Miami, whose masterpieces you can see all over the Wynwood Arts District. More than just graffiti, these murals took months to complete and span multiple blocks. Some of the most lauded works can be found at the Wynwood Walls.
Top tour attractions in Miami
Here are some of the best attractions where you will have great sightseeing experiences on your holiday:
- Miami Beach - Though it is actually a separate municipality from Miami, as it is located on an island, Miami Beach is connected to the mainland by several bridges. This expensive tourist district is known for its popular beaches and the Art Deco District.
- Bayside Marketplace - This large outdoor-style mall has numerous tourist and specialty shops, restaurants, cafes and live entertainment venues. As its name suggests, this establishment is located along the Miami waterfront, looking over the docks and colorful boats.
- Bayfront Park - This park, located on the east side of Biscayne Boulevard, is known for having the electronically controlled Pepper Fountain. Other highlights here include a tower for laser illuminations, an amphitheatre used for musical performances and 3 important monuments, namely the Torch of Friendship, the World War II Memorial and the Challenger Memorial.
Miami sightseeing tours and activities
There are still plenty more to see in the Magical City, and to experience the best for your trip, check out all Miami sightseeing tours and activities here at La Vacanza Travel.