New Delhi is a district and municipality that serves as the seat of the government of Delhi, which is the capital of India. The city’s foundation stone was laid by George V, Emperor of India, during the Delhi Durbar of 1911 and was designed by British architects Sir Herbert Baker and Sir Edwin Lutyens. Though New Delhi and Delhi’s names are used interchangeably to refer to the National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi, the former is formally a small part of the latter. New Delhi has been chosen as one of 100 Indian cities to be developed as a smart city under the flagship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, called the Smart Cities Mission.
Sightseeing destinations in New Delhi
Once serving as the imperial capital of India, New Delhi is now the country’s modern capital and seat of government. One of the world’s most populous regions, the city is a heady mix of tradition and modernity, serving as an important religious center and international gateway for India. It is where you will find one of the most sacred rivers in Hinduism, the ancient Yamuna River. Sightseeing highlights include its diverse arts and craft industry, countless performing arts venues, magnificent monuments and excellent cuisine. If you love shopping, then the city would be a haven for you, with its numerous markets and bazaars, including Chandni Chowk, which is India’s most popular commercial area.
Top tour activities in New Delhi
Given the many attractions in this city, there would be plenty of things to do during your trip, which include the following:
- Strolling at Connaught Place - Now called the Rajiv Chowk, this British-designed colonial equivalent of a mall, where you can burst into excellent shops to see what you can get. Long neglected, the area received a substantial redevelopment after the Metro junction under it was opened, going more upmarket day by day.
- Visiting the National Zoological Park - This place offers you the chance to see an elephant or a tiger. A sprawling park dedicated to preserving the country’s rich biodiversity, it is very huge, so be prepared to do a lot of walking.
- Taking a Photo Tour - This tour allows you to explore the various sights and people of New Delhi that most visitors miss. It lets you experience the city like a local and take some great photos.
Top tour attractions in New Delhi
To say that New Delhi is appealing would be an understatement, considering the fantastic attractions it offers. Make sure you do not miss the following on your trip:
- Red Fort - Locally known as Lal Kila, this place was home to Mughal Emperors for nearly two decades and then converted to barracks for the British colonial army. This time-tested fortress and iconic landmark is recognized by its red sandstone architecture and has been the backdrop for large-scale national events.
- Jama Masjid - This tall and largest mosque in India, constructed by Mughal ruler Shah Jahan, boasts of an eye-catching exterior that is made of marble and red sandstone strips. At its southern minaret, you can get a good view of the city’s landmark buildings.
- India Gate - This outstanding stone archway serves as a symbol of bravery and pride, as it would instantly ignites a feeling of patriotism. It is also known as the All India War Memorial.
New Delhi sightseeing tours and activities
To create a complete itinerary for this wonderful city, check out all New Delhi sightseeing tours and activities here at La Vacanza Travel.