Rome, also dubbed as the Eternal City, is the largest city and capital of Italy. It is the famed city of the Roman Empire and a millennium-long center of power, culture (as it has been a cradle of one of the greatest civilizations) and religion, influencing other places all over the world. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is teeming with grand romantic ruins, wonderful palaces, opulent monuments, millennium-old churches, graceful fountains and ornate statues, making it of the most-visited destinations.
Sightseeing destinations in Rome
Take note Rome is divided into several districts, all of which can offer you great sightseeing opportunities and tourist activities. The Central Rome (so-called the historical centre) is quite small, but it is where most of the attractions are located. You can also go to the Modern Centre, which offers great accommodation and shopping solutions; the Old Rome, which is the city’s Renaissance-era centre; the Vatican, which is home to an endless treasure trove of great museums, relics and sights. Other places that you should go include the Colosseo, North Centre, Trastevere, Aventino-Testaccio, Esquilino-San Giovanni and Nomentano.
Top tour activities in Rome
Most things to do that usually go with tour packages for a holiday in Rome are:
- Watching Performances - There are lots of theatres to check out in Rome, with the main concert venue as the Auditorium in viale Pietro de Coubertin. There is also the famous Parco della Musica, which hosts a constant stream of popular, classical and jazz music performed by national and international groups and musicians.
- Taking a Museum Tour - Having some of the best art collections in the world, Rome is a very popular destination for museum tours. By engaging in this activity, you will learn more about the history and culture of this great city.
- Embarking on an Underground Colosseum Tour - You will not be truly seeing the Colosseum without exploring the tunnels beneath this amphitheatre. This is part of most walking tours of the city, including all the most important ancient sites.
- Trying Some Food and Wine - With a professional tour, you will be able to take in some of the best food and wine that Rome is known for.
Top tour attractions in Rome
Being a center of one of the greatest civilizations in the world ever, Rome offers an astonishing number of attractions, including the following as the best ones to see.
- Colosseum - The largest and most famous amphitheater in Rome with more than 80 entrances, the Colosseum was said to be capable of holding about 50,000 spectators. Today, it is a major attraction that is visited by thousands of tourists who pay to view what is left of its interior.
- St. Peter’s Basilica - This is a very huge church and is the center of the Catholic world. The structure’s interior measures 120 meters high. Many famous artists, including Michelangelo and Bernini, worked on this complex building and its surroundings.
- Pantheon - Built in 126 AD as a temple for Roman gods and served as a church since the 7th century, the Pantheon is best preserved up to this day. Almost 2,000 years after its construction, its dome is still the world’s largest unreinforced concrete dome.
Rome sightseeing tours and activities
You can have a more enjoyable and memorable experience in this great city by planning your trip with the Rome sightseeing tours and activities offered by us here at La Vacanza Travel.