Known as the Harbour City, Sydney is the oldest, largest and most cosmopolitan city in Australia, with a reputation as one of the most beautiful and livable places in the world. It is set next to miles of coastline and sandy surf beaches and is rich with history, culture, nature, fashion, art and cuisine. It is home to the famous Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge, which are two of the most iconic structures in the world.
Sightseeing destinations in Sydney
The city is comprised of two main districts with sprawling suburbs forming a vast and diverse metropolitan area. These are Central Sydney, which is home to numerous famous attractions, fine restaurants and great shopping destinations, and Greater Sydney, where you will find less-crowded beaches and parks, commercial centers, cheaper shopping destinations, cultural festivals and other hidden gems. If you want to learn more about Australia's past, present and future, you can check out the museums found in the City Centre.
Top tour activities in Sydney
There is a plethora of things to do in your trip to Sydney, and here are some of them:
- Take a cataraman cruise - You can get a stunning view of the city from its waters by taking a catamaran cruise on the Sydney Harbour.
- Take a dip into its fine beaches - Swim at one of the city’s many surf beaches, such as Manly, Bondi, Cronulla, Coogee or Wattamolla. You can also get away from the crowd at one of the other beaches in the Northern Beaches and Eastern Suburbs.
- Experience some fun water-based activities - Surfing in Sydney is considered by many as a quintessentially Australian experience. You can try this activity in some of the beaches mentioned above, especially Bondi and Manly, which offer surf lessons. Aside from surfing, you can also do some kayaking and canoeing in one of the city’s waterways, where explore its history, bush land and exclusive waterfront properties. If you got more time, you can also go fishing during the warmer months.
Top tour attractions in Sydney
Sydney is one city that will let you personalize your sightseeing trip. Here are the attractions that you should prioritize on your list:
- Sydney Opera House - This UNESCO World Heritage Site is one of the world’s greatest icons and is the main attraction on the city’s glittering harbor. You can take great photos with this graceful building while gliding on a harbor cruise. The opera house includes studios, theaters, a cinema, a concert hall and exhibition rooms.
- Sydney Harbour Bridge - Locally known as “Coathanger”, this bridge was Sydney’s best-known landmark before the Opera House was constructed. Built in 1932, it remains the largest steel arch bridge in the world, connecting the harbor’s shores from north to south in a single curve that rises 134 meters above water.
- The Rocks - This place is situated on a tongue of land protruding into Sydney Harbour and was once the home to the Gadigal aboriginal people and then became the first site of European settlement in Australia. Today, there are more than a hundred heritage sites and buildings you will find in this place.
Sydney sightseeing tours and activities
When planning your trip to this great city, check out all Sydney sightseeing tours and activities here at La Vacanza Travel.