Venice is one of the most beautiful and interesting places in the world. Geographically a sanctuary on a lagoon, the city is virtually the same as it was 600 years ago, adding to its fascinating character. Though it has seen a decline since its heyday, its romantic charm still remains with millions of tourists visiting it every year.
Sightseeing destinations in Venice
Venice is made up of several boroughs that offer a lot of sightseeing opportunities for you to enjoy. A most famous place that you should check out is the area that comprises 118 islands in the main districts, called Sestieri, where the city’s main landmarks, monuments and sights are located. Other main districts of interest are Lido di Venezia and Isola Della Giudecca. Also take note of the more important islands in the lagoon, such as Torcello, Murano, Burano and San Francesco del Deserto.
Top tour activities in Venice
There are many things to do in this lovely city that can make your trip more worthwhile, such as:
- Having a Romantic Dinner Cruise - Venice has always been one of the world’s most romantic cities, so a romantic activity is a must if you are visiting it with your partner. And what better way to do this than a dinner cruise?
- Riding the Water Bus - Do not miss riding the water bus or the vaporetto down the Grand Canal right before the sun sets. Though this trip can be quite pricey, the sights that you will see will be priceless, with the soft seaside sunlight, amazing architecture and fascinating parade of watercraft all for you to experience.
- Exploring the City on Foot or via Local Forms of Transportation - Make sure you take in all of the beauty of Venice by exploring it. You can stroll along its alley ways or take the water taxi to various parts of the island. There is a lot of museums and churches that you can visit, with many great sights to keep your eyes busy.
Top tour attractions in Venice
With a city that is filled with tourist attractions, it can be difficult to know where to begin. Luckily, we have here highly recommended sites to top your list.
- St. Mark’s Basilica - Aside from being the best-known church in the city, this basilica is also one of the most easily recognized in the world. Originally, it was the Doge’s private chapel that was decorated with Byzantine art treasures from the Venetian ships after the Fall of Constantinople.
- St. Mark’s Square - The largest square in Venice is brought together and made intimate by the elegant uniformity of its three sides. Known for its architectural grace, the Piazza San Marco, as it is known locally, is loved as Venice’s living room, where both locals and tourists mingle, stroll, drink coffee and do other activities.
- Palazzo Ducale - This extraordinary palace does not fail to impress visitors in Venice, with its size and architectural finesse. Such an impression will be strengthened as you would enter the Venetian gothic-themed Porta della Carta and ascend the monumental Scala dei Giganti and Scala d'Oro.
Venice sightseeing tours and activities
Make sure you will have a great holiday in this city by planning it with the Venice sightseeing tours and activities here at La Vacanza Travel.