Vienna is by far the largest city and the capital of Austria, serving as the cultural, economic and political center of the country. As the former home of the Habsburg monarchy or empire, the city still has some traces of the imperial capital it once was. Rich with history, its city center is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Sightseeing destinations in Vienna
There are many places in Vienna that offer fantastic sightseeing opportunities. In its historic first district or the Inner-City, you will find the Stephansdom and Stephansplatz at the centre, as well as the Ringstraße or the Ring Road, which is lined with many famous and grand buildings, including the city hall or Rathaus, Hofburg Palace, Austrian Parliament, Kunsthistorisches Museum, Natural History Museum, MAK-Austrian Museum of Applied Arts/Contemporary Art and the State Opera House.
All in all, the city has 23 districts that vary immensely in size, with each having its own flair.
Top tour activities in Vienna
Here are some of the most enjoyable things to do on your trip to this great Austrian city:
- Attending a Glamorous Ball - This is one thing that you should not miss when you are in Vienna for the carnival season. Balls are held in wonderful elegant locations in the city, including the Hofburg and the city hall. The most elegant and popular of these events are the Opera Ball in the State Opera and the ball of the Wiener Philharmoniker.
- Joining Its Festivals - Considering that there is a lot of festivals in this city, you will be in for a lot of celebrations, such as the Vienna Turf Krieau, the Augarten, the Schloss Neugebäude, the Praterhe and the ImPulsTanz Festival. There is also the new Vienna Biennale that combines art, architecture and design.
- Trying the Local and Street Food - Make sure you have a taste of what Vienna is all about by trying out some local and fast food. You can find hot sausages and hotdogs the city is known for at snack bars called würstlstand scattered all over the town. The local snack culture here includes more ex-Yugoslavian and Turkish varieties of fast food, such as the Döner Kebap.
Top tour attractions in Vienna
Some of the most popular attractions that tours to Vienna include:
- The Hofburg Palace - The seat of the Habsburgs for more than 600 years and the official residence of Austrian rulers since 1275, this is probably the most historically significant palaces in the city. This sprawling complex is comprised of multiple buildings that reflect various periods, including those with Gothic, Baroque, Renaissance and Rococo styles.
- St. Stephen’s Cathedral - This must-see attraction is regarded as the most important Gothic edifice and the cathedral church of the archbishopric in Vienna since 1722. The highlights here include the Steffl’s Watch Room for its spectacular views and the North Tower, where the massive Pummerin Bell is located. Its other significant features of note are the Cathedral Treasure, which contains many important artifacts and the 14th-century catacombs.
- Schönbrunn Palace and Gardens - This spectacular 18th-century palace is worth visiting not only for its excellent architecture, but also for its lovely park-like setting. Highlights of a tour to this place include seeing the imperial apartments and the rooms of Empress Maria Theresa.
Vienna sightseeing tours and activities
It would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience to see all these with your own eyes. So, check out all Vienna sightseeing tours and activities here at La Vacanza Travel.