Thekkady is located in the Idukki District where you will find the Periyar National Park, which is a major tourist attraction in the state of Kerala in India. Specifically, the place is located about 257 kilometers from Trivandrum and is near the Kerala-Tamil Nadu border. The sanctuary here is very popular for its dense evergreen, moist, deciduous forests and savanna grass lands, which are home to herds of tigers, elephants, sambar, gaur, Nilgiri langurs and lion-tailed macaques. If you are planning a Thekkady visit during your Kerala vacation, here are tips that you can pick up.
Top places to visit in Thekkady
You can explore Thekkady through its roads that wind through a tranquil countryside, thick jungles and rich plantations. One of the best places to visit here is the sanctuary, which is open throughout the year, though the best time of the year to visit it is from September to March. There is also a large artificial lake that was formed by a dam across the Periyar River and a popular destination in the country.
Top things to do in Thekkady
To make your trip more fun and memorable, you should do the following activities:
- Take a leisure cruise on the Periyar - You can take a boat ride offered by the Kerala Forest Department and the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC) to allow you to spot wildlife around the Periyar River. You can choose between a small or a big boat for this trip.
- Take a bullock cart ride - You can ride up on a bullock cart to traverse through village lanes. At certain points on this trip, you can take some breaks and experience the simple life in this place.
- Visit the tea factories - You can go Vandiperiyar and see the tea plantations that are nurtured by the Periyar River. Today, this area has become a primary trade center with several tea-processing factories.
- Ride an elephant - Elephant rides are very popular in Thekkady, given that elephants are found in many areas here, such as the Periyar Tiger Reserve and the spice plantation compounds.
Top attractions and landmarks in Thekkady
The following should top your list for your Thekkady holiday.
- Periyar Nature Park - This is the largest and most populous park in the state, which can be explored in a comprehensive way through one of the programs conducted by the authoritative departments. If you love bird-watching, you will find more than 320 species of birds, including sunbirds, hornbills, kingfishers, woodpeckers and a variety of mynas.
- Periyar Lake - Located near the park, this lake is suitable for boating where you can get a view of elephants taking a bath on its banks.
- Periyar Tiger Trail - Located within a lush forest, this place is famous for its adventure safaris, which will allow you to see wild animals, such as elephants, nilgiri langur, giant squirrels and monkeys. This place also offers outdoor activities, such as camping and trekking.
Thekkady holiday packages
For the best experience in this beautiful destination of Thekkady, book Kerala holiday packages with us here at La Vacanza Travel!