VENICE SKIP THE LINE: Doge´s Palace|Golden Basilica|Saint Mark Square and Rialto

Duration: 4 hours
Destination: Italy, Veneto, Venice
from
13520

Check Availability

  • 4 hours
  • Venice
  • E-Voucher
  • Lowest Price
  • Cancellable

Overview

A guided tour in the Palazzo Ducale which represented for centuries the seat of the Venetian political power. In his splendid rooms, plastered and immersed in hundreds of masterpieces of painting, the Dogeand his Council controlled the fate of a thousand-year history republic.

You’ll be surprised of the rich details of the gold staircase, of the realism of the scenes depicted by many artists who have decorated this building, you will relive the anguish of the prisoners crossing the famous Bridge of Sighs, and entering the Venetian prisons, famous for hosting Giacomo Casanova.

A personal walking tour is the best way to discover independently the most famous and marvelous areas of Venice: San Marco and Rialto!
31 points of interest spread across the itinerary, among them you will see the magnificent Theatre “La Fenice”, Rialto Bridge with its typical market and the majestic Accademia Bridge!

Itinerary
This is a typical itinerary for this product

Stop At: Doge's Palace, Piazza San Marco, 1, 30124 Venice Italy

A masterpiece of Gothic architecture, the Doge’s Palace is an impressive structure composed of layers of building elements and ornamentation, from its 14th and 15th century original foundations to the significant Renaissance and opulent Mannerist adjunctions. The structure is made up of three large blocks, incorporating previous constructions. The wing towards St. Mark’s Basin is the oldest, rebuilt from 1340 onwards. The wing towards St. Mark’s Square was built from 1424 onwards. The canal-side wing, housing the Doge’s apartments and many government offices, dates from the Renaissance.

Duration: 1 hour

Stop At: Basilica di San Marco, Piazza San Marco 328, 30124 Venice Italy

The Basilica of San Marco (in Italian: Basilica di San Marco) is the most famous of the churches in Venice, Italy, and one of the best examples of Byzantine architecture. Located in St. Mark's Square (in Italian: Piazza di San Marco), next to the Doge's Palace, the basilica has been the seat of the Roman Catholic archdiocese of Venice since 1807.

The church has a Greek cross plan, based on the examples of Hagia Sophia and the Apostles' Basilica, both in Constantinople. It has a raised choir above a crypt. The interior plan consists of three longitudinal and three transversal naves. A canopy covers the main altar, with columns decorated with 11th century reliefs. The altarpiece is the famous Pala d´Oro - a Byzantine metal work from 1105. Behind the main altar there is a second altar with columns of alabaster. The choir enclosures, above which there are three reliefs by Sansovino, feature marquetry by Fra Sebastiano Schiavone. The nave's two marble pulpits are decorated with statuettes by the Massegne brothers (1394).

The basilica was consecrated in 1094, the same year that the body of Saint Mark was supposedly found on a pillar by the Doge Vitale Falier. The crypt then housed the relics until 1811. The building also has a low tower, which some think was part of the original Doge's Palace.

Duration: 1 hour

Stop At: Museo Correr, Piazza San Marco San Marco 52, 30124 Venice Italy

The Correr Museum is the municipal museum of Venice (Italy), located in Saint Mark's Square, opposite the homonymous basilica, and occupies part of the Napoleonic Wing of the Procuratie Nuove designed by Vincenzo Scamozzi. The latter is a bureaucratic building that occupies three quarters of the square. The Napoleonic Wing was built after the French occupiers sacked the small church of San Gimigniano that was opposite the opulent basilica.

The museum owes its name to Teodoro Correr (1750 - 1830), a magnate descended from one of the oldest Venetian families, who in 1830 bequeathed his collection of works of art to the city of Venice. The museum has a collection of art, documents, ancient objects and maps that reflect the history and everyday life of Venice over the centuries. The Napoleonic Wing has sumptuous neoclassical decor and houses a remarkable collection of works by Antonio Canova, by Giambattista Pittoni (The death of the virgin, Adorazione dei pastori, Adorazione dei magi, Ritrovamento di Mosè y Presentazione del tempio), by Vittore Carpaccio, de Giovanni Bellini and Antonello da Messina. It also conserves six large volumes with sketches of the decorations made by Francesco Bagnara for the Teatro de La Fenice.

Duration: 1 hour

Stop At: Piazza San Marco, 31024 Venice Italy

St. Mark's Square (in Italian: Piazza San Marco) is the only square in Venice, and its main tourist destination, with a permanent abundance of photographers, tourists and pigeons. It is attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte, although most likely it must be done to Alfred de Musset, the author of the epithet le le élégant salon d'Europe (the most beautiful salon in Europe).

It is also one of the only large urban spaces in a European city where people's voices are imposed on the sounds of motorized traffic, which is restricted to the city's canals.

The piazza was started in the 9th century as a small area in front of the original Saint Mark's Basilica. It was extended to its current shape and size in 1177, when the river Batário, which bordered it to the west, and a port that had isolated the Ducal Palace from the square, were landed. The restructuring was carried out for the meeting of Pope Alexander III with Emperor Frederico Barba Ruiva.

The square has always been the center of Venice. It was the place where all the important events in the history of the Republic of Venice took place, and has been the basis of the archbishopric since the 19th century. It has been the focus of many festivals and is an immensely popular place in Italy.

It was paved at the end of the 13th century with herringbone tiles, with lines that made it possible to organize the market and the very frequent ceremonial processions. In 1723 the tiles were replaced by a more complex geometric design, composed of dark volcanic stone with geometric patterns in white stone, under the responsibility of the Venetian architect Andrea Tirali, and this opportunity was used to raise the square in approximately one meter.

In 1890 the pavement was renewed due to wear following a design similar to that of Tirali, but the ovals were eliminated and the western corner was cut to better accommodate the Napoleonic Wing at the end of the square.

Duration: 1 hour

Stop At: Teatro La Fenice, Campo San Fantin San Marco 1965, 30124 Venice Italy

Venice’s opera house is one of the most famous opera houses worldwide. Not without reason it is often called the queen
of the opera houses. Rossini, Bellini, Donizetti and Verdi composed their works for the Teatro La Fenice. Famous composers such as Richard Wagner and Igor Stravinsky also arranged performances of many of their works in Venice.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Ponte di Rialto, Ruga degli Orefici (Rialto) San Polo, 30125 Venice Italy

The first building that crossed the Grand Canal was a floating bridge, built in 1181 by Nicolò Barattieri. It was called Ponte della Moneta, presumably because of the minting of Venetian currency that was done near its eastern entrance.

The evolution and importance of the Rialto market on the eastern bank of the channel has increased river traffic considerably close to the floating bridge. So it was replaced around 1250 by a wooden bridge. The structure had two inclined ramps that joined a movable section, which could be raised for tall boats to pass. The bridge's relationship with the market finally changed its name. During the first half of the 15th century, two rows of stores were built on the sides of the bridge. The taxes of these stores entered the city treasury, which helped to maintain the bridge. This was vital on a wooden bridge.

The primitive bridge as it was 1500, according to Vittore Carpaccio.
The Rialto bridge was partially burned during the revolt led by Bajamonte Tiepolo in 1310. In 1444, it fell when the weight of the assembled crowd was too heavy to see a nautical parade, being rebuilt again, and in 1524 it fell again.

The idea of ​​a stone reconstruction was first proposed in 1503. Several projects have followed one another in the decades. In 1551, the Venetian authorities asked for proposals to renovate the Rialto Bridge. Numerous famous architects, such as Michelangelo, Jacopo Sansovino, Andrea Palladio and Jacopo Vignola offered their services, but all made proposals with a classic approach with different arches, which were considered unsuitable for this work.

The stone bridge that exists today is formed by a single arch, designed by Antonio da Ponte, and built between 1588 and 1591, based on the design of the previous wooden bridge: two inclined ramps intersect in a central portico. On each side of the ramps there is a row of cubicles topped with half-point arches, which serve as commercial spaces. The bridge is supported on 600 wooden piles, with the construction arranged in such a way that at each moment the joints of the staves are perpendicular to the force of the arch. Engineering design was considered so bold at the time that architect Vincenzo Scamozzi predicted its downfall. However, even today the Rialto Bridge rises, being one of the architectural icons of the city of Venice. The peculiarity of this bridge is that it seems to break with the architectural tradition of building Roman-type bridges based on the half-point arch structure with a new low arch type. But in this case, the innovation is only visual, because it is also a half-point arch that the water level hides the bases (basement staves) of the arch that only visually appears lowered.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Gallerie dell'Accademia, Campo della Carita Dorsoduro 1050, 30123 Venice Italy

L 'Accademia di Belle Arti di Venezia was founded in 1750 by the Venetian Senate as the school of painting, sculpture and architecture in Venice. It is known simply as Accademia. Its first president was Giambattista Piazzetta, together with the adviser Giambattista Pittoni. The intention was to reproduce the same Accademia that already existed in other cities, such as Rome (Accademia di San Luca), Milan and Bologna (Accademia Clementina). It was the first institution to study the restoration of works of art in 1777. Among its teachers were Tiepolo, Hayez, Arturo Martini, Carlo Scarpa and Emilio Vedova.

Accademia presents works by several artists, among them: Giambattista Tiepolo, Giovanni Battista Pittoni, Tintoretto, Tiziano, Vasari, Leonardo da Vinci, Gentile Bellini, Giovanni Bellini, Bernardo Bellotto, Canaletto, Carpaccio, Rosalba Carriera, Cima da Conegliano, Fetti, Luca Giordano, Francesco Guardi, Giorgione, Johann Liss, Charles Le Brun, Pietro Longhi, Lorenzo Lotto, Mantegna, Michele Marieschi, Antonello da Messina, Piazzetta, Preti, Veronese (Paolo Caliari), Alvise Vivarini and Giuseppe Zais.

Duration: 30 minutes

Inclusions
  • Shared guided tour with commentary
  • Qualified and experienced guide
  • “Skip the line”: Doge’s Palace, The Basilica and Pala D’oro guided tour
  • Entrance ticket valid to visit by yourself the palace around St. Mark’s Square
  • Old Royal Palace now Museo Correr
  • Museo Archeologico Nazionale
  • Monumental rooms of the Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana
  • Glass craftsman at work close to Saint Mark’s Square
  • Saint Mark and Rialto Self-Guided Tour
  • Entry/Admission - Museo Correr
  • Entry/Admission - Teatro La Fenice
  • Entry/Admission - Gallerie dell'Accademia

Exclusions
  • Confirmation will be received at time of booking
  • Not wheelchair accessible
  • Near public transportation
  • Infants must sit on laps
  • Most travelers can participate
  • This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
  • This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
  • This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
Departure Point

Doge's Palace, Piazza San Marco, 1, 30124 Venezia VE, Italy


Departure Time

10:30 AM


Return Details

Returns to original departure point

Voucher info

You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.

Duration

4 hours

For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.

User's Reviews

No review available.

User's Picture Gallery


Similar Packages


Other Populars

Some popular Sightseeing Tours, Activities, Hotels and Holiday Packages.

Italy - SightSeeing Tours and Activities View All

Venice - Where To Stay View All

Venice - Holiday Packages View All