You probably already know that Greece has one of the longest histories around the world and is considered to be the origin of democracy, political science, Western literature, and other aspects of civilization. All of these are true, but take note that these aren't what Greece is all about! It's also one of the best and most popular tourist destinations out there and is a great place to spend your next vacation. With its beautiful beaches, rugged mountains, and interesting cultural attractions, Greece will definitely give you an exciting and unforgettable trip.
Places to visit in Greece
Greece has a wide range of sightseeing and activities to choose from that picking a place to visit can be a bit overwhelming! The trick here is to choose attractions that best fit your interests. If you're a nature lover, for instance, make sure to visit the beautiful blue lakes that are nestled between Greece's mountain peaks and drink in their majestic beauty. If you want to learn more about the country's culture, explore the 17 UNESCO World Heritage Sites that are scattered across Greece, such as the Temple of Apollo Epicurius and the Sanctuary of Asklepios.
Things to do in Greece
- Go for a swim at Preveli Beach. Once you've swam to your heart's content, sit back, relax, and marvel at the rugged cliffs and incredibly blue skies.
- Challenge your physical abilities by taking a hike through the Samaria Gorge, which stretches up to 16 kilometers and features a stony terrain. Observe the other hikers (or even make friends with them) while looking out for golden eagles and kri-kri (an endangered wild goat specie).
- Visit the cliff-top monasteries in Meteora, where you can explore chapels, monks' cells, and cave hermitages and gain a deeper understanding of Greece's spiritual side. While you're in the area, check out the local villages like Kalambaka and Kastraki, where you can go rock climbing, explore the cycling trails, or take a rafting trip down the Ionas River.
Top attractions in Greece
- Parthenon - The Parthenon is the largest Doric temple in Greece and is dedicated to the goddess Athena. Here, you can observe friezes and metopes that depict famous scenes in Greek poems and feature ancient heroes.
- Archeological Museum of Heraklion - By visiting this museum, you'll get to view a wide range of artifacts (including pottery, jewelry, and ceremonial items) and learn more about the history of Crete and of the entire country. There are two floors and over twenty rooms to explore, so set aside an entire day for your visit.
- Archeological Site of Delphi - Ancient Delphi is located at the foot of Mount Parnassos and was the site of Apollo's sanctuary. Numerous intriguing artifacts have been found here (with some dating back to the Neolithic period) and, when you visit the area, you'll find many attractions that have been partially restored to their former glory, such as the Chiot altar and the Treasury of the Athenians.
Greece sightseeing tours and activities
With these in mind, it's easy to see that Greece is one of the best destinations out there and that you won't run out of things to do during your trip. Don't worry since organizing your vacation is easy! Just book Greece Sightseeing Tours and Activities we offer here at La Vacanza Travel, and we'll take care of everything for you.