Top International Holiday Destinations
Looking for more destination options for holiday packages ? See top international destinations from India, visit page to explore holiday packages, read detailed itineraries, send enquiry, book hotels, explore and book sightseeing tour and activities online.
Lucerne - Holiday Tour Packages from India
Lucerne is a beautiful small city in the heart of Switzerland, across the lake from Altdorf, where legend speaks of William Tell shooting an apple off of his son’s head. It is the first city to join the Swiss Confederation and is now having a thriving tourism industry, which owe primarily to its status as “Gateway to Central Switzerland”. Tourism in Lucerne has a distinguished history that dates back to the mid 19th century, which involved Mark Twain. As such, the city is definitely a great place for tourist sightseeing and activities.
Places to visit in Lucerne
If you are off to a holiday in Lucerne, do not miss visiting Lake Lucerne on a ferry ride for some amazing scenery views. You should also check out the Jesuit Church, which boasts of its beautiful baroque style that is usually depicted by lots of cherubs and flower carvings in the foundations.
Another place to visit is Mont Pilatus, which is located nine miles south of the city. It got its name from the medieval times when the city fathers banned travel up to its peak, as they thought its slopes were haunted by the ghost of Pontius Pilate. Even after the ban was lifted, still a few people were brave enough to climb it.
Lucerne is also a great base from which you can do some sightseeing and activities in the famous Swiss sites of Mount Titlis, Mount Rigi and Rütli Meadow.
Things to do in Lucerne
You can ensure your vacation in Lucerne will be more fun and memorable by:
- Joining the Fasnacht – A rousing carnival is celebrated by some cities in Switzerland, including Lucerne. It is famous for its chaotic “march any direction you like” street parades of the so-called Guugemusig (a band of wind instruments and drummer) and its elaborate masks. The carnival week of Lucerne starts on the Fat Tuesday and ends at Ash Wednesday.
- Taking the Golden Round Trip – You can experience the assorted delights of the city’s landmark mountain from May to October, courtesy of this half or whole-day excursion on a boat, a cogwheel railway, an aerial cableway and panorama gondolas.
- Exploring the Old Town – The Old Town is one of the main reasons why many people travel to Lucerne. Here, you can get lost in its maze of streets, squares and passages, while you are admiring the mural paintings on the buildings.
- Paragliding from Mounts Pilatus and Rigi – Do not miss out on paragliding down from the majestic mountains surrounding Lake Lucerne, as it will surely be a unique experience.
You can also take a guided tour or a boat tour, which is famous in the place. Check if these are included in holiday packages.
Top attractions and landmarks in Lucerne
Some of the best attractions you will find during your travel to Lucerne are the following:
- The Chapel Bridge - This is a famous landmark of Lucerne that is said to be the oldest wood-bridge of Europe. It is made of wood and was built in the 14th century as protection for the city. You will find it amusing to walk over it as you can see a lot of pictures of the 12th-century city life and Swiss history.
- The Musegg Wall (Old City Wall) - Here, you will find several towers, including the Clock Tower, which you can ascend. For the clock, it has “First Strike rights” by law, so it chimes at 1 minute before the hour.
- The Lion Monument or Lion of Lucerne - This is a sculpture that was designed by Bertel Thorvaldsen and commemorates the Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution when the Tuileries Palace in Paris, France was stormed by revolutionaries.
Lucerne holiday packages from India
Aside from those mentioned above, there are more things to do and see in Lucerne. So, what are you waiting for? Plan your itinerary or sign up for Lucerne holiday packages now and experience the beautiful place yourself! Check Swiss holiday packages
Book Top Sightseeing Tours and Activities Online
View All Sighseeing Tours
Enjoy a day of Alpine adventure in Switzerland on this half-day, summer trip to Mt Pilatus from Luce...
Visit the summit of Mt Titlis on an afternoon tour from Lucerne, where spectacular mountain vistas a...
Venture from Lucerne through the Swiss Alps to the highest point in Europe! On this unforgettable da...
Embark on a summertime adventure of gorges and glaciers on this full-day guided tour to the Swiss Al...
Spend a day in the breathtaking Alps on this day trip from Lucerne to the stunning UNESCO World Heri...
Discover the charms of northern Switzerland on a day trip from Lucerne. Begin at the Lindt & Spr...
Step back in time to medieval Switzerland and explore the country’s rural heartlands on this Bern da...
This 2-day Alpine adventure takes you from Lucerne through Switzerland’s majestic Jungfrau region to...
Enjoy a day full of fresh mountain air and unforgettable Alpine scenery on this mostly independent d...
Get the best of both worlds on this full day trip to central Switzerland and Lucerne's old town. Aft...