Top International Holiday Destinations
Looking for more destination options for holiday packages ? See top international destinations from India, visit page to explore holiday packages, read detailed itineraries, send enquiry, book hotels, explore and book sightseeing tour and activities online.
Samarkand - Holiday Tour Packages from India
Samarkand, which literally means “Rock Town” or “Stone Fort”, is one of the oldest inhabited cities in Central Asia and the third largest city in Uzbekistan, which prospered from its location along the Silk Road between the Mediterranean and China. The place is known for having carefully preserved its traditions of ancient craft, including silk weaving, embroidery, copper engraving, wood painting, carving and ceramics making. In 2001, the city was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List as “Samarkand - Crossroads of Cultures”.
Top places to visit in Samarkand, Uzbekistan
For hundreds of years, the city’s name has carried with it romantic allure and exotic mysticism. As you may have heard, the expression “The Golden Road to Samarkand” has countless tales behind it. Founded in the 7th Century BC as ancient Afrasiab, the city has been a crossroad and melting pot of many cultures from around the world, having its most significant development in the Timurid Period. Now, it has a lot of places of interest, including the Bibi-Khanum Mosque, Registan Square, Gur-Emir ensemble and the Shakhi-Zinda compound.
Top things to do in Samarkand, Uzbekistan
You can make your trip to Samarkand more memorable by including the following things in your holiday package.
- Pamper yourself in a spa - You can experience relaxation during your trip by visiting a spa or banya for a deep tissue massage.
- See the Registan light show - The Registan ensemble is known for having a nightly light show, which includes turning some flood lights on and off every 10 minutes during a certain period of time.
- Try the city’s popular bread - It is pretty rare for a visitor in the city not to try the Samarkand Non, which is the most famous product here, or leave without buying this bread as a gift.
- Experience the nightlife - There is a few places in Samarkand where you can spend the night, including night clubs and bars, where you can enjoy some drinks in a nice environment.
Top attractions and landmarks in Samarkand, Uzbekistan
- Gur-E-Amir Mausoleum - It is said that Timur had this crypt built in 1404 for his grandson and proposed heir, Mohammed Sultan. However, when he died unexpectedly of pneumonia in Kazakhstan in the winter of 1405, it was difficult to take his body back to Shakhrisabz, where he has built a simple crypt for his own, due to snow, so he was interred here instead. It is also here where his 2 sons and 2 grandsons lie.
- International Museum of Peace and Solidarity - This gallery used to occupy a building in Navoi Park, but it was demolished in 2006 to pave way for renovations. However, the museum was given a new home, where you will see a remarkable collection of disarmament and environmental memorabilia by curator Anatoly Ionesov.
- Tomb of the Old Testament Prophet Daniel - Lying on the banks of the Siob River, this tomb is a long, low structure that is topped with five domes that contain an 18-meter sarcophagus, as legend says that Daniel’s body grows by half an inch each year, thus the size of the sarcophagus.
Samarkand holiday packages from India
There are more enjoyable things that you can have during your trip to Samarkand, and you could experience them all by booking holiday packages with us here at La Vacanza Travel.
Book Top Sightseeing Tours and Activities Online
View All Sighseeing Tours
Enjoy fantastic sights of Samarkand that have always been referred as the heart of the Silk Road. Yo...
Not only Samarkand is famous for its historical monuments but also its Wine-making traditions. It's ...