Top International Holiday Destinations
Looking for more destination options for holiday packages ? See top international destinations from India, visit page to explore holiday packages, read detailed itineraries, send enquiry, book hotels, explore and book sightseeing tour and activities online.
Galle - Holiday Tour Packages
If you want to see evidence of the Portuguese and Dutch rule during your Sri Lanka Holiday, you don't have to look farther than Galle. The city was extensively developed by the European colonizers during the 16th century, and it's considered to be one of the best examples of fortified cities that the Europeans built in Asia. The best part about it is that the city has not lost its Sri Lankan roots, so what you get is a place that combines traditional styles with European-inspired architecture.
Top places to visit in Galle
The first places you'll want to visit when you arrive in Galle are the historical buildings in the city. There are many structures that date back to the 16th and 17th centuries and are still in great shape, so make sure to visit them and marvel at their architecture. Once you've had your fill of beautiful churches and impressive buildings, it's time to explore Galle's natural wonders. One example is the Rumassala Hillock, which is located in Unawatuna and is home to many species of birds including rare ones like the black bittern, the Loten's sunbird, the Asian palm swift, and the white-breasted waterhen. Of course, no Sri Lankan vacation is complete without hitting the water, so don't forget to drop by Galle's breathtaking Unawatuna beach. Here, you can take part in fun and exciting water sports or just lay down and get a nice tan.
Top things to do in Galle
Being bored in Galle is next to impossible since there are a lot of things you can do during your holiday. These include:
- Going on a museum tour - Galle has several museums like the National Museum, the Marine Archeological Museum, and the National Maritime Museum. Here, you'll learn more about the city's past and gain a deeper understanding of the local culture.
- Taking a shopping trip - Whether you're a certified shopping addict or just want to buy souvenirs for your friends back home, you'll definitely want to explore the city's little boutique shops in the Fort area. Buy some fashion jewelry to spice up your outfits or grab a stylish dress made of the famous Galle lace.
- Spending the day outdoors - Galle has a lot to offer in terms of outdoor activities, including cycling, hiking, fishing, and canoeing. Simply choose an activity that fits your personality and interests and enjoy some outdoor fun!
Top tourist attractions in Galle
Your vacation in Galle won't be complete if you don't get to see the city's top attractions, which include the following:
- The Dutch Reformed Church, which was built in 1640. Interesting fact: its floor is paved with gravestones that come from the old Dutch cemetery, while remains of the dead are kept in various parts of the floor and walls.
- Amangalla, which was built in the 1600s to accommodate the Dutch governor and later became the New Oriental Hotel. It's now known as a luxurious hotel and, even if you're not staying in it, you can still check out its bar and restaurants.
- The Fort Walls, which literally encloses the city with solid granite. Take a stroll along the walls at dusk to fully observe its majestic beauty without the daytime heat.
Galle holiday packages
Galle should be on your itinerary when you visit Sri Lanka. Choose from one of the Sri Lanka holiday packages available to start planning your trip to this beautiful city.
Book Top Sightseeing Tours and Activities Online
View All Sighseeing Tours
This is a wonderful, 4- hour deep sea whale watching and fishing tour. As you go deeper towards the ...
Udawalawa National Park is the one of most popular wild safari in Sri Lanka. Enjoy a safari jeep rid...
Yala National Park is the most popular and second largest wild safari in Sri Lanka. Enjoy a safari j...
Embark on a thrilling 6-hour whale watching cruise along Sri Lanka’s southwest coast. Depart from yo...
This lagoon and village cycling tour goes at your own pace. You'll get off the beaten track with an ...
This 4-hour bike tour will take you all around Galle, the fourth largest city in Sri Lanka. Learn ab...
Unawatuna is a beautiful island of Sri Lanka blessed with hundreds of rivers, reservoirs, ancient ca...
We highly recommend that you will have the best chance of sighting Blue Whales, Fin Whales and even ...
This trip offers you the unique chance to explore the countryside of Galle in a three wheeler. Ride ...
This tour will take you on a drive from the sunny beaches of the southern coast to cool climes of th...