Top International Holiday Destinations
Looking for more destination options for holiday packages ? See top international destinations from India, visit page to explore holiday packages, read detailed itineraries, send enquiry, book hotels, explore and book sightseeing tour and activities online.
Sigiriya - Holiday Tour Packages
Sigiriya, Sri Lanka is an ancient rock fortress that is located in the Matale District near Dambulla in the Central Province of Sri Lanka. It name refers to a place of archaeological and historical importance that is dominated by a huge column of rock that is about 200 meters in height, which is known as Sihagiri or the Lion Rock. After the royal palace and the capital was abandoned after the king’s death, the structure was then transformed as a Buddhist monastery until the 14th century.
Today, Sigiriya is a UNESCO World Heritage Site as a best-preserved example of ancient urban planning. In fact, it is the most visited historic site in the island country. With these things said, it is a perfect spot during your Sri Lanka vacation.
Top places to visit in Sigiriya
When visiting Sigiriya, you will find some ruins of an upper palace that is situated on top of the rock and a mid-level terrace that includes the Mirror Wall and the Lion Gate. There are also the lower palaces situated behind the lower gardens, as well as ramparts and moats that protected the citadel. To the west side, you will find a royal park that was laid out on a symmetrical plan containing water-retaining structures. To the south is a man-made reservoir that was extensively used by the previous capital. Among the most important aspects of the site are the gardens, as they are among the world’s oldest landscaped gardens. They are divided into 3 distinct forms, including the terraced gardens, cave and boulder gardens, and water gardens.
Top things to do in Sigiriya
Here are the activities that will make for a complete visit in this fortress:
- Take an eco-cultural tour - This activity will take you on a wildlife and cultural expedition that allows you to explore the fauna in Sigiriya. Take note that this is not offered during the low seasons.
- Experience the “elephant voyage” - Within 10 kilometers of Sigiriya, you will be able to experience the “elephant voyage”, which is offered near the Habarana Inn.
Top attractions and landmarks in Sigiriya
Here are the attractions to see on a holiday in this wonderful fortress:
- Sigiriya Museum - This museum showcases engaging and detailed displays, with a fine diorama of the site. It provides an excellent overview that explains the cultural importance of Sigiriya.
- Royal Gardens - The Sigiriya complex includes beautifully landscaped water gardens, boulder gardens and terraced gardens. These gardens are a perfect spot to explore the fortress away from the crowds and just enjoy the sounds of the flowing water and the birds.
- Mirror Wall - This wall is made of brick masonry and polished with white plaster. It contains verses that date back to as early as the 8th century.
Sigiriya holiday packages
To create the perfect itinerary for Sigiriya and enjoy all the things it has to offer, book your Sri Lanka holiday packages with us here at La Vacanza Travel. Enjoy your trip and stay safe!
Book Top Sightseeing Tours and Activities Online
View All Sighseeing Tours
Visit the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Sigiriya Rock Fortress and Dambulla Cave Temples by an air-...
This private tour will take you to two destinations, one historical and the other cultural. The hist...
Minneriya National park is one of the only place in the world to witness the largest Asian elephant ...
You will pick up from the hotel in Sigiriya or dambulla and drop to the ruin Polonnaruwa kingdom.You...
This tour gives you the unique opportunity to go birding in the dense forests of Sigiriya. Hike thro...
Explore the wild, natural countryside of Sigiriya in this wonderful tour. Cycle along the little foo...
This private village tour gives you a chance to experience traditional Sri Lanka with all its authen...
This 3-hour private village tour gives you a chance to experience traditional Sri Lanka with all its...
Explore the rural village of Hiriwadunna on this half-day trip from Sigiriya or Dambulla. Traveling ...
End your Sri Lanka vacation with ease by booking this private departure transfer from your...