Top Domestic Holiday Destinations
Looking for more destination options for holiday packages ? See top domestic destinations, visit page to explore holiday packages, read detailed itineraries, send enquiry, book hotels, explore and book sightseeing tour and activities online.
Alleppey (Alappuzha) - Holiday Tour Packages
Formerly known as Alappuzha, Alleppey is the administrative headquarter of Kerala’s Alappuzha District in Southern India. It is the 7th largest city in the state and is an important tourist destination in the country, specifically thanks to the famous Backwaters. When creating an itinerary for your vacation in Kerala, here are things to remember in Alleppey.
Top places to visit in Alleppey (Alappuzha)
Having picturesque lakesides, mirror-still lagoons, palm-fringed canals and scenes of everyday life in the countryside, Alleppey is one of the most important tourist centers in Kerala, even being dubbed as “Venice of the East” with its large network of inland canals that provide the place its lifeline. A visit to the place will let you see its well-preserved charm in its bustling center and communities. You can go to church-filled town of Kottayam and the town of Aranmula, where you can see the famous annual event, the Snake Boat Race. Other places of interest here include the Alappuzha Beach, St. Andrew’s Basilica, Ambalappuzha Sri Krishna Temple, Chettikulangara Devi Temple, Mannarasala Temple, Thakazhy Sree Dharma Sastha Temple, Haripad Sree Subrahmanya Swamy Temple, Mullakkal Temple, Alappuzha CSI Christ Church, Edathua Church, Krishnapuram Palace Kalavam Kodam Temple and Champakulam Valia Palli.
Top things to do in Alleppey (Alappuzha)
Engage in the following activities to make your trip to this city more worthwhile and memorable.
- Watching Snake Boat Races - Make sure you see Alleppey’s spectacular snake boat races, which is held each year, especially the Nehru boat race. During the event, you will see snake boats manned by more than a hundred oarsmen and cutting through the waters like the wind.
- Taking a Cruise - By taking a cruise along the Backwaters, you will be able to get a first-hand experience of the lifestyle in the area, including fishing, toddy tapping, coir-making and prawn farming, which had remained unchanged over the years.
- Kayaking - The place offers excellent guided kayaking trips through the narrow Backwater canals. You can choose from single or double kayaks, and the trip includes a motorboat transport and support boat.
Top attractions and landmarks in Alleppey (Alappuzha)
An Alleppey holiday would not be complete without visiting these attractions:
- Ambalapuzha - This place is known for its architectural features, with the Sreekrishna Temple confirming the typical Kerala style. This temple is famous throughout the region for its Palpayasam milk porridge for the deity that is exceptionally sweet.
- Karumadikkuttan - This village is known for its 10th-century granite Karumadikkuttan statue of the Great Buddha.
- Champakulam - This is the water logged village where you will find the oldest market that is known as the Kalloorkkadu angadi. Another major tourist attraction here is the St. Mary Forane Church, which is famous among believers and tourists for its beautiful mural paintings. It is also here that you will see the Nadubhagum and Champakulam snake boats, which often take part in the yearly snake boat race.
Alleppey (Alappuzha) holiday packages
There are more to explore in this beautiful Indian destination of Alleppey, and if you want to make the most out of them, you should book Kerala holiday packages here at La Vacanza Travel.
Book Top Sightseeing Tours and Activities Online
View All Sighseeing Tours
Everything about Kerala is heaven. Book this amazing Kerala tour with 6-nights' accommodation to see...
Kerala is a lovely state with the lowest population growth rate in India. It is situated on south-we...
This 13-hour private day trip takes you to Munnar hills, the green Paradise of Kerala. You will see ...
Join us for this tour that offers combination of Alleppey backwater houseboat cruise with Kerala lun...
Immerse in the multi-faceted culture of Kochi with rich contributions from Hindu, Christian, Arab, D...
When your cruise ship docks in Kochi, explore sights such as the Fort Kochi Chinese fishing nets, Ba...
This group tour is specially designed for cruise travelers who dock at Cochin Cruise Port. Choose th...
Day tour to Alappuzha (or Alleppey) covering the Ravi Karunakaran Museum and a tour of the United Co...
Kerala is a beautiful mixture of unique architecture and serenity of nature. On your first day, you ...
Alleppey Houseboat Private Day Cruise with pickup from Kochi is ideal for anyone who has a day (10 t...