Top Domestic Holiday Destinations
Looking for more destination options for holiday packages ? See top domestic destinations, visit page to explore holiday packages, read detailed itineraries, send enquiry, book hotels, explore and book sightseeing tour and activities online.
Fatehpur Sikri - Holiday Tour Packages
A district of Agra, Fatehpur Sikri was once a thriving capital city held by Mughal Emperor Akbar until 1585, when it was abandoned because of the scarcity of water and its proximity to the Rajputana neighborhood. It was moved back to Agra, but it remained a ghost town during most of the older times. The place was formerly called Fatahabad, which is derived from the Persian word “Fatah”, which means victory. The original purpose of constructing the city was Akbar’s intention to honor Salim Chishti, the Sufi saint, with the entire palace complex built around the saint’s tomb. Today, the city is one of India’s most preserved specimens of Mughal architecture.
Sightseeing destinations in Fatehpur Sikri
Sitting on a rocky ridge, the palace city of Fatehpur Sikri covers an area of 3 kilometers in length and 1 kilometer in width and is surrounded by a 6-kilometer wall on three sides with the fourth bordered by a lake. Inside it are lots of buildings, which include various regional schools that boast of excellent architectural craftsmanship, like the Bengal and Gujarat. Structures are influenced by Hindu and Jain architecture, but you can see that there are Islamic elements in them. Fatehpur Sikri can be accessed through several gates, namely the Delhi Gate, Agra Gate, Lal Gate, Chandanpal Gate, Birbal’s Gate, Gwalior Gate, Chor Gate, Tehra Gate and the Ajmere Gate.
Top tour activities in Fatehpur Sikri
Here are the best things to do while you are in this palace city:
- Explore the important buildings and their architecture - The buildings within this city form a unique combination of different architectural traditions, though their general concept and layout conform to the Islamic style of architecture. The actual buildings, which are mostly palaces and their features, show a strong Hindu style in general, but that of Rajasthan and Gujarat in particular.
- Indulge yourself in good food - Fatehpur Sikri is known for its mouth-watering cuisine, holding expertise in recipes like dum biryani, mutton, veg biryani, kebabs and chaats, which are prepared in a unique way. The tastes of these special delicacies cannot be compared to any other food, so you should try them on your trip.
Top tour attractions in Fatehpur Sikri
Here is a list of the best attractions to visit in this palace city:
- Buland Darwaza - The name Buland Darwaza literally means “magnificent gate in Urdu”. It was constructed in 1601 to commemorate Emperor Akbar’s victory over Gujarat. The doorway’s architecture is unique and its craftsmanship is brilliant, which you can see in its red sandstone construction, carved marble and granite inlays.
- Diwan-I-Khas - Also known as the Hall of the Private Audience, this is one of the most interestingly orate buildings in this palace city. One of the highlights here is the central tower known as the Lotus Throne.
- Jodhabai Palace - The Mariam-uz-Zamani Palace, as it is alternatively called, was the living quarter of the Mughal Queen Jodhabai. Due to its amazing architecture, this palace is regarded as one of the most important buildings in the city.
Fatehpur Sikri holiday packages
By checking out all Fatehpur Sikri Holiday Packages here at La Vacanza Travel, you will be able to create the best itinerary to this magnificent palace city.
Book Top Sightseeing Tours and Activities Online
View All Sighseeing Tours
You might have seen Taj Mahal, but have you seen Taj Mahal at sunrise? Sunrise Taj Mahal Agra Privat...
Step back in time and discover the glory of the Mughal Empire of India on this private day trip to A...
Travelling for 3 - 4 hours is now more comfortable and sumptuous. To make your journey easy and safe...
Visit Agra to experience the stunning sunrise and sunset of Taj Mahal. Your experienced local guide ...
Join us for this private full-day tour of Agra to discover the glory of the Mughal Empire of India! ...
The beauty of the Taj Mahal varies from dawn to dusk. Visit the Taj Mahal at sunrise shrouded in mis...
Enjoy a high-class experience that combines a privately guided tour of the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort w...
This full-day private city of Agra tour offers up a few fascinating things to see. The Taj is unques...
Step back in time and discover the glory of the Mughal Empire of India by visiting Agra's world famo...
The Sanskritik Natyashala presents the live show ‘Mohabbat-the-Taj’, a series of plays depicting the...